Rules and Tips
- Design and build a boat that will complete a short marina course manually powered by TWO people. No stowaways!
- The entire boat hull and structural components must be constructed using any thickness of corrugated cardboard. Solid type cardboard such as sonotubes are not allowed.
- The boat can be constructed in any fashion, but must remain open for quick evacuation.
- The boat must be completed before the day of the race. Anything other than minor fixes of the boats on the property will not be allowed.
- Duct tape, masking tape, single-part adhesives, and single-part paints are the ONLY other materials allowed in the boat construction. If you have to mix it, it isn’t allowed. Adhesives like Liquid Nails and all caulks are encouraged and work great.
- Any structural material except corrugated cardboard, tapes, glues, and paints are illegal! Some examples are, but not limited to: waxed cardboard, fiberglass, plastic, wood, rubber, shrink-wrap, and two-part glues/epoxies/paints.
- Participants must bring oars, paddles, or other similar items to manually propel the boat. These items DO NOT have to be made of cardboard. No motors (unless you can build one from cardboard… good luck with that).
- Decorative and non-structural items do not have to be made from cardboard. However, any items deemed to be a potential hazard or aid in floatation will need to be removed prior to the race.
- Crew members must be at least 5 years of age to participate. It is suggested that everyone knows how to swim.
- Both boat crew members must bring and wear their own Coast Guard approved personal flotation device (life jacket) of the correct size.
- Both boat crew members must bring and wear strap-on protective footwear. Flip-flops are not acceptable strap-on footwear.
- No polling or pushing off the bottom of the river to propel the boat.
- Any physical contact between opponents will result in immediate disqualification.
- Any Crew found guilty of violating these rules will be stripped of all rank and made to walk the plank (in other words you will be disqualified and forfeit all entrance fees).